The Church of England - Birmingham
Birmingham is the UK’s second city with the youngest urban population in one of the most lively and diverse regions. The Birmingham Diocese, founded in 1905, is one of 44 Dioceses in the Church of England. It covers an area of nearly 300 square miles, and includes parishes in the West Midlands including Birmingham and parts of Solihull, Sandwell, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Right at the heart of what we do there are 188 Church of England churches and worship centres with an average Sunday attendance of 14,000 from a population of 1.5 million. In these churches are clergy and church-goers representing a wide scope of Church tradition and breadth of ethnicity.
Around 165 paid priests, together with additional self-supporting ministers, offer spiritual and pastoral care in the parishes, together with retired clergy, readers, local ministry teams & other non-ordained ministers.
The ninth Bishop of Birmingham, The Rt Revd David Urquhart, was welcomed to Birmingham in November 2006. He leads the Church of England across the Diocese and has formed a team of senior staff. The Bishop shares his Episcopal oversight with the Suffragan Bishop of Aston.
In the heart of the city, Birmingham Cathedral, dedicated to St Philip, is led by the Dean, The Very Revd Catherine Ogle. It has been a place of Christian worship since 1715 and was designed by the English Baroque architect, Thomas Archer.
The Diocese is divided into two pastoral administrative areas led by the Archdeacon of Aston (The Ven Simon Heathfield) and the Archdeacon of Birmingham (The Ven Hayward Osborne). Each of these areas contains a number of Deaneries, or groups of parishes.