The Last Container
Container 11 for Blantyre, Lilongwe and Mtunthama near Kasungu was loaded St George’s Centre, Great Hampton Row, Newtown on Saturday 19 March 2016. The changes aimed at smoothing the loading process and minimising waiting time worked very well and all went smoothly.
Consignee Fr Eston Pembamoyo and his son Emmanuel report that the container arrived in Malawi for customs clearance in early June and was unloaded and the contents distributed in Blantyre, Lilongwe and Mtunthama on 10 and 11 June. Some of the recipients in Blantyre collected their gifts after the day but all are accounted for. In Lilongwe and Mtunthama distribution was smooth and the beneficiaries were helpful. There were no damages and no items missed. We are grateful to Fr Eston, his son Emmanuel and all who worked with him.
The Next Container is to be loaded on 10 June 2017
You as donors are skilled at labelling, and standards of packaging have improved. The significant changes made last time and aimed at smoothing the loading process and minimising your waiting time, were a success. Details for next time:
- Those sending gifts need to book space on the container, between 5 months and 1 month in advance, specifying the destination. Booking for the next container will be open from New Year 2017. Space is again being offered to other charities, but priority is given to Birmingham donors who book space in good time.
- The site for loading is again St George’s Centre, Great Hampton Row, Birmingham B19 3JG. Directions will be sent to those booking space.
- About 1 month in advance, each sender will be given a half hour time slot for loading. These will be between 9am and 3pm. Please do not arrive earlier or you may be obliged to wait. You are asked on arrival to check in and make your donation, and then to wait until you can load your gifts.
- We rely on donors to help to maximise the load we can send. We therefore ask that, if you have more than a few parcels, you come with the man/woman power to load your donation directly onto the container.
- Extra manpower to work inside the container packing and stacking would also be very welcome. Please contact Judith Grubb (contact details below) if you might be able to help.
The information sheet on Reserving Space and Preparing to send Gifts is being revised. You can view the existing one by clicking here. The Malawi Revenue Authority has taken a closer interest in the latest container than was the case before. This makes it all the more important for donors to ensure that paperwork is correct and complete.
It costs us almost £10,000 to send each container, which equates to £6 per cu.ft. We request donations from senders towards this cost that take into account the cu.ft. being occupied.
We send gifts to schools, hospitals and medical centres, parishes or community projects in Malawi. Judith Grubb can advise on a destination if you do not have a contact in Malawi. Gifts can be sent to any part of Malawi provided someone is able to collect them from one of the unloading centres.
To ask for a ‘Reserving Space’ sheet or for any other enquiry, please contact Judith Grubb at Judith.email@example.com or phone her on 01527 457789 (evenings preferred).